Join us on October 13th and 14th for a 2-day 1800s California based history event featuring a battle reenactment from the Mexican-American War. With only a few people and one cannon the Californios repelled the US military to the ports and protected their land. See this battle in action!
The civilian camp opens at 10am both days and on Saturday there is a Victorian dance and tea at 3:30pm and everyone is welcome!
There is so much to see and do:
- Battle re-creations from the Mexican-American War
- Meet people from the 1800s such as the Dominguez sisters, the Old Woman who had the cannon, Thaddeus and Leontine Lowe with the U.S. Balloon Corps, musicians, soldiers, seamstresses, crafts people, cooks, chaplains, doctor, mountain men and more
- Hospital and surgical demonstrations with Dr. Malarky
- Whirled Peas Band performance both days (Sat: 1:30pm and Sun: 12:45pm)
- Victorian hairdressing
- Cooking and tortilla making (demonstrations on both)
- Adobe brick making, gold panning, sewing, lace making (demonstrations and interactive participation)
- Children’s games and pastimes (participate as your learn)
- Californio and U.S. Navy encampment re-creations
- Civil War encampment re-creation
- Time period clothing and items for sale
- Cannon firing
On Saturday there will be two battle skirmishes and Governor Alvarado will talk about his experiences. There will be a civilian camp where you can see how people cooked, make adobe bricks, visit a doctor’s office, talk to the US balloon corps and more. Listen to the Whirled Peas Band play as well.
At 3:30pm on Saturday there will be a Victorian tea and dance and all are welcome. Dance to the Whirled Peas and Ginger Alberti, dance caller. Eat some scrumptious sandwiches and tea. And only a $5 suggested donation is asked.
On Sunday the actual battle will take place at 12pm and 3pm. There will also be an artillery demonstration, the Whirled Peas will be playing, and the civilian camp will be in action.
There will be food and drink to purchase so you can spend the whole weekend! We hope to see you there.